The demand for data security is increasing as businesses have become more dependent on data now a day. Data backups prevent data loss in case of cyber-attacks. It is necessary to ensure that the organization has the right solution to recover its sensitive data.
Why is Data Backup essential for a business today?
- Preventive measures like firewall configurations and network security solutions don’t always work.
- Cyber-attacks such as ransomware, DDoS attacks, malware attacks, and data breaches are constantly evolving.
- It is required to prepare for natural disasters like fire, storms that can halt the business instantly and shut down the data center.
- Using third-party cloud service to store data means you’re placing the security of confidential data into the hands of a service provider. Cloud computing requires additional data backups to reduce the risks.
- Your employees can erase the high-value data. Such insider threats can harm your business.
The Data Backup Rule of Three:
This rule dictates that businesses should have at least three copies of data; one copy should be stored offsite; use at least two different types of storage media for data backup purposes.
Benefits of Data Backup:
1. Quick restoring of lost data files:
Rather than performing the whole task again, it’s easy to recover the lost data file from remote backup. It saves valuable time.
2. Business continuity:
If original files are lost, you can extract the record of business transactions from backup files. This data is your business asset; additional copies help you in protecting your intellectual property. Remote backups are cost-effective solutions.
3. Empowering employees:
If a file corrupts or a staff member leaves his laptop at home, data should be accessible quickly from central backup. It reduces overhead and boosts employee productivity. They will be more focused on the project instead of handling such issues.
4. Peace of mind:
Backing up high-value business data brings peace of mind for business owners. Most Important contacts and documents remain protected.
5. Data save for a determined period:
Some business operations demand to hold data for specific durations. Data at remote backups can be accessed when needed.
6. Data security is higher:
Virtual servers are safe locations for maintaining data backup remotely. You can schedule automated backups regularly; it is a reliable solution to protect your business-critical information.
7. The workload reduces:
Remote backups are automated; manual backups are time-consuming and require at least one person to do the task. Automation saves your time.
How to back up your Small Business Data?
- You can use cloud services for storing your data online.
- You can also store data files in separate zip folders on a separate disk partition on your computer.
- USB drives are also ideal for maintaining quick backups.
- A recommended method for small businesses is to buy and use an external hard drive for data backups.
- You can also backup your business-sensitive files on another server using a local area network (LAN).
Changing the default usernames, defining a complex password, and encrypt sensitive data are good best practices that keep your data secure from cyber-attacks. Data loss is a fact; data backup and recovery solutions retain your credibility.